Andrew Schrader was born in Basildon Hospital on April 25th, 1982 to William (Bill), a motor mechanic, and Eleanor, a retired civil servant, and has two younger brothers.
He grew up in Billericay, where his family have lived for six generations, and was educated at The Billericay School before reading Politics at the University of Greenwich, where he achieved a Bachelor of the Arts (with Honours).
Andrew has worked in financial services and recruitment and currently works in administration for a Local Highways Authority in London. He lives with his fiancée and her daughter and is a member of the Norsey Woods Society and the Mill Meadows Society and a former governor of Basildon & Thurrock University Hospital and also a former school governor.
Andrew was elected to Basildon Borough Council in the Billericay East by-election in June 2013 and has been re-elected three times, in 2014, 2018 and most recently in 2022.
Since 2021, Andrew has been Chairman of the Housing and Estate Renewal Committee and Vice-Chairman of the Planning Committee (having previously served in the latter role between 2014 and 2016) and also sits on the Strategic Planning and Infrastructure Committee. He also serves on the Fuel Poverty and Financial Vulnerability Working Group. Andrew also sits as a representative of the Council on the Essex-wide Renewal Mobilisation Group, the Basildon Bus Forum, the Basildon Taxi and Private Hire Consultative Forum, the Norsey Wood Society and the Great Burstead Exhibition Foundation (Billericay Educational Trust).
- Opposition Spokesman on Covid-19 (2020-1)
- Opposition Spokesman for Local Government Reform (2020-1)
- Member, Local Government Reorganisation and Transition Committee (2020-1)
- Member, Housing and Communities Committee (2020-1)
- Member, Housing Development Sub-Committee (2020-1)
- Opposition Spokesman for Economic Development (2019-20)
- Member, Infrastructure and Inclusive Growth Committee (2019-20)
- Member, Enforcement Sub-Committee (2019-21)
- Member, Billericay Town Centre Working Group (2019-21)
- Member, Laindon Town Centre Working Group (2019-21)
- Opposition Chief Whip (2019-21)
- Chairman, Economic Development and Growth Committee (2018-19)
- Member (ex officio), Policy Oversight and Strategy Committee
- Chairman, Conservative Group (2018-19)
- Council Rep', South Essex Active Travel Sponsoring Board (2018-19)
- Council Rep', Basildon Taxi and Private Hire Consultative Forum (2018-19)
- Lead Member, Working Group on the MHCLG consultation on powers for dealing with unauthorised encampments (2018)
- Member (Opposition Spokesman), Regeneration and Environment Committee (2017-18)
- Vice-Chairman, Conservative Group (2016-18)
- Member, Planning Committee (2016-18)
- Lead Member, Grounds Maintenance and Street Cleansing (Phase 2) Task and Finish Group (2016)
- Director, Basildon Community Transport Service (2016-17)
- Vice-Chairman, Planning Committee (2014-16)
- Council Rep', Basildon Borough Citizens' Advice Bureau Ltd (2014-16 & '18-19)
- Trustee, John Puckle Educational Trust (2014-17)
- Member, Leisure and Community Services Scrutiny Committee (2013-14)
Andrew was also formerly Chairman of the Basildon & Billericay Conservative Association (having previously served for five years as Deputy Chairman and Honorary Secretary) and Deputy Chairman (Political) of Essex Area Conservatives. He is currently an officer of the Billericay East Branch of the Association, serving as DC Political and Branch Secretary. He also served as Conservative election agent in the successful campaigns to re-elect John Baron as MP for Basildon & Billericay at the 2015 and 2019 General Elections.
Away from politics, Andrew is a massive self-confessed ‘film nerd’ and often gives talks at the Billericay Community Cinema. He also enjoys watching (and talking endlessly about) films and is a keen reader, with a particular love of history, political biography, and high fantasy, most notably The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (which he tries to re-read every few years).